Your wedding is approaching and so is the first dance. Now that you’ve decided to let the staff at All About Ballroom help you plan the wedding dance of a lifetime, let’s talk about the music. Here are some tips to help you as you go through the selection process.
- Determine your dance personality. As a couple, are you traditional, irreverent, hip, hopelessly romantic, unorthodox, shy, or sensually hands-on? Or are you a combination of different dance personalities?
- Choose a dance tempo that suits your dance personality as well as your dancing ability.
- Choose a song style to which you both can relate. Even if you have different tastes in music, there is a song out there somewhere that will make each of you happy. A compromise is a win-win for both of you.
- Consider many resources for song ideas. The internet has more ideas and song lists than you can ever consider. Or you may want to browse through theAll About Ballroom music library. We have a wide variety of artists and styles from which to choose.
- Take a trip down memory lane to think about “people, places, and things” you’ve experienced as a couple. More than likely, there is a song associated with at least one of your relationship’s memories.
- And speaking of memories… Choose a song that you will still want to dance to for many years to come. There’s nothing better than dancing to your first dance song at your Silver or Golden anniversary.
- Make sure that your song is available for rehearsals and for the Big Day. Does your DJ have a copy? Can the band play it?
- When the “Aha-That’s-The-One” moment arrives, make sure to check the lyrics from start to finish. The song title may have nothing to do with the lyrics and vice versa. Offensive or off-color lyrics are not appropriate for your first dance, and you certainly don’t want to be surprised by them.